Five ways data drives green performance
Illustration courtesy of USGBC
When it comes to sustainability, data is ushering in a new era of green performance. Thanks to the digital age, our ability to capture data is virtually limitless and the information we gather has the ability to drive better decisions — economically, socially and environmentally.
Over the last two decades, the U.S. Green Building Council and GBCI have gathered vast amounts of green building data through transformative tools such as LEED. Recognizing the critical role data is playing, GBCI created Arc, a digital platform that is helping buildings, communities and cities around the world benchmark and improve green performance.
Here are five ways data is driving a new era of green building performance:
- Transparency: Data creates a holistic picture of sustainability efforts and impact. Tracking green performance also helps businesses keep pace with industry changes. Arc gives its users a transparent look at performance using real-time data. The approach encourages incremental improvement and uncovers innovative opportunities.
- Comparison: Comparing performance leads to better results for everyone. Data is a powerful motivator and allows us all to learn from one another's successes and shortcomings. Projects on Arc can see how their efforts are working and how they stack up to similar projects locally, regionally and globally.
- Benchmarking: When you benchmark against yourself, you improve. Benchmarking against others helps you know how much you can improve. Leadership can occur anywhere, at any point. Benchmarking through Arc provides an immediate entry point, no matter where you are on your sustainability journey. It is a clear starting point and can help you move toward LEED certification.
- Collaborative learning: Projects pursuing multiple sustainability efforts at once—energy, water, waste, transportation and human experience—make better decisions when data is shared across teams. Arc connects actions so that buildings, communities and cities can ensure they are performing at the highest possible levels. It also integrates with Energy Star’s Portfolio Manager and other industry tools to drive even greater results.
- Performance beyond buildings: Data allows us to see results. Results are the core of performance. In Arc, net zero performance in energy and water is shown through a perfect score. Data also allow us to be non-linear. So we don’t have to separate buildings from communities and cities. With Arc, users can look at performance of buildings, neighborhoods, districts, cities and more.
Topics: Architectural Firms, Associations / Organizations, Automation and Controls, Building Owners and Managers, Certifications, Construction Firms, Consulting - Green & Sustainable Strategies and Solutions, Data Centers - Mission Critical Information Centers, Energy Saving Products, Engineering Firms, Great Commercial Buildings, Internet of Things, Office Buildings, Sustainable Communities, Technology, Urban Planning and Design, USGBC
Companies: U.S. Green Building Council