Acute care hospital a gold facility
Humber River Hospital, one of Canada's largest acute care hospitals, has earned LEED gold certification through the Canada Green Building Council (CaGBC).
Considered one of the most energy efficient acute care hospitals in North America, officials said Humber River Hospital is revolutionizing sustainable health care design by setting the standard for reducing operating costs and the carbon footprint, according to a press release.
"We designed and built our new hospital on three core principles: lean, green and digital," Humber River President and CEO Barb Collins said. "Being certified LEED gold is a testament to the work done by the hospital … in respecting our environment throughout the project, carrying over into the actual building performance.”
Sustainable highlights of the hospital include:
- Commissioned building systems which demonstrate unprecedented energy efficiency targets:
- Design energy use intensity (EUI) of 348 ekWh/m2
- 17 points for LEED Canada-NC 2009 Optimized Energy
- 47 percent lower than the Energy Star Portfolio Manager Canada target for hospitals
- 100 percent fresh air circulation, well above CSA-Z317 standards
- 20 percent of materials used to construct the facility contained recycled content and 46 percent were sourced regionally
- 96 percent of construction waste was diverted from landfill
- 38 percent of the project's total site area includes vegetated open space
- 33 percent water use reduction and water efficient landscaping using captured rainwater
- Vegetated roof and reflective roofing materials to reduce heat island effect
The hospital includes first-in-Canada use of Automated Guided Vehicles (AGVs). Programmed to move custom-built carts to carry food, linens, medication, and general supplies throughout the hospital, they are capable of calling elevators, opening doors, picking up loaded carts, and determining timing of each delivery based on their location, priority level of the call and time of day.
Topics: Architectural Firms, Associations / Organizations, Automation and Controls, Building Owners and Managers, Certifications, Construction Firms, Consulting - Green & Sustainable Strategies and Solutions, Energy Saving Products, Engineering Firms, Exteriors, Great Commercial Buildings, Green Roofs / Garden Roofs, Healthcare - Hospitals & Medical Facilities, Healthy & Comfortable Buildings, Sustainable Communities, Technology, Urban Planning and Design