12 tips for effectively using window film
The International Window Film Association (IWFA) recently released an infographic offering 12 reasons to highlight the benefits of professionally installed window film.
Whether at home, in the office or in a car, window films offer a high-tech and cost-effective way to help control energy use, provide safety benefits and protect both skin and eyes, and home and office furnishings, too.
Released during the holiday season, the IWFA recommends these 12 tips for using window film:
- Stay safe and secure.Accidents and storms can shatter windows, sending shards of glass everywhere. Reduce the risk of injury with safety and security window films, which help hold glass together upon impact.
- Protect your skin from UV rays. Skin damage is cumulative. By blocking up to 99 percent of UV rays from passing through a home’s and car’s unprotected windows, window film can help keep skin healthier and more protected than window glass alone.
- Cherish furniture, floors and family heirlooms. Professionally installed window film can add an extra layer of defense for some of your most beloved possessions – reducing premature fading and slowing deterioration.
- Cut down on heating and cooling costs. Up to one-third of a building’s heating and cooling costs can be lost through inefficient windows. Window film rejects up to 55 percent of solar heat – offering a more energy efficient environment. Some films can even help to retain room heat in the winter months.
- Reduces eye damage. Untreated windows only protect eyes from about 25 percent of UV rays. Window film is a proven way to reduce the dangerous impact of the sun on your eyes.
- Save money on improvement projects. A professional installation of window film can range from $4 to $11 per square foot – offering seven times the energy savings per dollar spent when compared with full replacement of windows.
- Reduce sun glare. Wreaking havoc on daily commutes, sun glare can nearly blind you while behind the wheel, even from side windows. Window film helps reduce excessive sunlight from entering your vehicle.
- Consider “Go Green” perks.Many states across the country offer homeowners and business owners incentives for undertaking “green” projects. Window film may qualify for project reimbursements and tax reductions.
- Window size, shape and location are not factors.Whether you’re looking to cover a floor to ceiling window, or a uniquely shaped window, professionally trained and accredited installers can take on challenging windows.
- Improves window performance.Old windows do not offer the same level of protection or energy efficiency available today. Window film can help improve the overall performance of a window – alleviating the need for full replacement.
- Add an extra level of customization and privacy. Window film comes in a number of shades and colors. By choosing the right level of visible light transmittance (VLT) for your environment, you can enhance the look of your car or home and even increase privacy without the losing your view, if so desired.
- Add an aesthetic accent to interior glass panels or windows.Decorative window film can transform a living space. From frosted to specialty designs, window film can offer an extra interior touch of styling.